Saturday, April 12, 2014

     Knowing now that our son is Autistic opened my eyes to why he behaves the way he does.  From him being incoherent to what is going on around him at home, to the almost melt downs at the store.
     Our son can be at the same table with us while we are eating dinner, there is a conversation going on and not even two minutes later he is asking us questions that had already been answered.  He doesn't like to be told what to do or how to do things (I know...most kids don't) Our conversations with him isn't a usual conversation, they are one sided most of the time, about topics he wants to talk about.  He hardly makes eye contact, he might briefly but it is rare that he will actual engage in eye to eye contact.  Trying to explain things to him such as lying, money, respect and chores seems too much for him at times.  Before our eyes were open to the possibility of autism we thought that he was a self centered little boy and couldn't figure out how he got this way...I guess some would think of him as a spoiled brat.  I keep trying to explain these things to him, calmly...it's not easy.
     The almost melt downs...this past Friday he was talking about buying a train set and he needed more money.  I told him that he had his chance to earn money by doing his chores.  I reminded him that he told me he no longer wanted to do chores and he would sell things for money.  He wasn't at all happy when I told him he still had to do his chores...needless to say he was unhappy with this already.  He said he was going to sell one of the loom bracelets he had made for $10.00.  I suggested that it be less than that, he said he no longer wanted it and through it down on the floor of the grocery store and said I don't want the bracelet anymore.  Our daughter picks up and says, yay I got looms ( of course this doesn't help stop a melt down before it begins it helps get it started).  Now he wants the looms back and she's not giving them up.  This goes on for a while and then he lays down on the floor of the store and says he's not moving until she gives them back.  I honestly don't remember how this one was resolved as quickly as it did (I think it had something to do with my daughter making a deal with him for something) and every thing was fine. 
     He has had a melt down at church as well.  He will bring his own basketball, but doesn't want anyone else to touch it.  He gets very angry when someone does.  I am not sure if it's a permission thing or a touching thing.
     We try to steer him from Thomas the Tank Engine ( after all he will be in middle school next school year and the thought of this scared me to death ) but he keeps on going right back...so I have given up on that.  It's kinda like Thomas the Tank Engine is a fisherman and our son is a huge fish and Thomas keeps reeling him in. 
     I would like to know what goes on inside his head, what things look like from his perspective.  That would give me so much insight and I might be better at helping him more...but I am learning as I go.

Thanks Again for Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment